Sinister: somebody's fave book [nbs]

bumph benjamin at xxx.com
Mon Feb 9 18:03:50 GMT 1998

Without responding to it I managed to delete someone's post about
_Sophie's World_, which I read while ill a few weeks ago and was surprised
to find that Spiritualized dug from that book the title of their last
record ("Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space," that one in the
pharmaceuticals packet).

Also lately I have managed to read _The Blue Flower_ by Penelope
Fitzgerald, because I'm sort of obsessed with German Romanticism and the
novel is roughly about Novalis. It's brilliant and beautifully written,
though all of the background of it might be a bit much, and I say this
despite hating _The Bookshop_ which is seaside village light comedy tripe,
and some other novel of hers, the title of which eludes me, though it was
on the Booker Prize short list a long while back-- no matter because it
was total bourgeois crap. Stick up for her if you will.

/bumph