Sinister: Possibilities.

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Tue Feb 10 04:42:21 GMT 1998

So happy to hear someone talk about my favorite film in the world.  I
actually spent a great portion of last semester comparing the
triangulation of desire in _Jules et Jim_ to the that of the
Shakespearian sonnets.  And if you've ever taken a Shakespeare class as
obnoxious as the one I took (complete with 13 other English majors who
could see intelligent things like "Well, in the sonnets, Shakespeare uses
the word "The" 500 times, but "a" and "an" are only used 497 times.  I
wonder what that means."), you may well undestand such a possibility.

On another scholarly pursuit, I thought about the females characters in
B&S songs, and how they portray (Something else I had to work on last
semester for another class.  If you're bored, please skip this paragraph)
the Virgin/Whore dichotomy.  They are sexual yet innocent.  Promiscuous
yet virginal.  I'm thinking of Judy, who "did it with a boy when she was
young" yet escapes the dreariness of daily life by writing about her own
dreams, as she is only happy when sleeping.  And also Lisa, who takes up
pornography as a "fun" hobby. Sorry if this is boring.

Oh, I had completely forgotten to mention something.  Last week, when
drunk, my best friend M***y (a boy) slept on the couch that rests between my
roomate M*****a's (a girl) and my beds.  In my own drunken state, though
sleeping, I was painfully aware that M***y was present, as I talk in my
sleep sometimes and feel uncomfortable about doing so when he is near.
So, I fell into a debauched and restless sleep, and dreamed that I was
leaning over to say something to M***y on the couch.  When I looked
down, however, he was not there...  BUT THE SONG SNAKE WAS!!! (Actually,
it was just a snake, but I like to imagine it was the song snake.)
Needless to say, I was petrified.  It was worse than the Incredible
Hulk nightmares I had when I was a kid.  But when i thought about the
possibility of said snake being a muse for B&S, I felt relieved.  Or
maybe I just think of M***y as a phallus.  Whatever.

XOXOXO,
Kristen