Sinister: Rod the Mod

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Feb 11 11:40:13 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: Keith Watson <keith at qss.co.uk>
Para: Strange Bed-Fellows <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: martes 10 de febrero de 1998 20:19
Asunto: Sinister: Rod the Mod

>>Could be worse.  Scotland's official Euro'96 anthem was Rod bleedin'
>>Stewart.  Thank god for Primal Scream & Black Grape's alternative anthems.
>

>And what the fuck's wrong with Rod Stewart?

There's nothing wrong with Rod Stewart. I bought two Rod albums about three
years ago, for "Maggie May" and "You Wear It Well" respectively. For a long
time I thought the rest of it was a bit shit, but a few weeks ago it
suddenly dawned on me that they are in fact pretty good. They've got Bob
Dylan covers on them, and an excellent version of the flawless song "I'd
Rather Go Blind". They are a nice mix of British folk influences and the
usual American heritage influences. They're quite sexist and occasionally
racist, but that's a fairly minor quibble. At least for right wing
extremists such as myself and Northy ~
And there's nice steel guitar on it. I like Teenage Fanclub very much, but I
think Rod might just have the edge on them in terms of.....oh dear, I can't
think of a suitable word....weightiness.

Peter