Sinister: Rod the Mod

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 11 17:31:19 GMT 1998

>And there's nice steel guitar on it. I like Teenage Fanclub very much, but
>think Rod might just have the edge on them in terms of.....oh dear, I can't
>think of a suitable word....weightiness.

I think Rod's made some splendid records over the years - Rod's biggest
fault I'd have said is his inability to notice the fact that many of the
songs he wrote/co-wrote are better than the dross he chooses to cover so
often. "Every picture tells a story" is a lovely album, although there's
never really been an album to match that (you'll excuse me if I can't
comment on his eighties offerings), but I'd say even through the years he's
had a load of good singles, "The killing of Georgie" is dead, as is "I was
only joking" which for Rod the lad who shags the blonds is quite an
admission of insecurity. I am the only person I've met so far who can see
shades of "Do you think I'm sexy" in the intro to the Roses "I wanna be
adored". And there's even numerous good singles throughout the 80's.

Anyone agree?
    Tim Hopkins perhaps? :-)

    I'm off home now,
        Take care,    Keith.