Sinister: Rod the Mod

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Feb 11 19:36:42 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: Nrbqlover at aol.com <Nrbqlover at aol.com>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: miƩrcoles 11 de febrero de 1998 19:34
Asunto: Re: Sinister: Rod the Mod

>In a message dated 98-02-11 12:11:10 EST, Peter said:
>
><< I like Teenage Fanclub very much, but I
> think Rod might just have the edge on them in terms of.....oh dear, I
can't
> think of a suitable word....weightiness. >>
>
>this may be an age thing(i'm 37), but Rod Stewart DOES NOT deserve your
>respect. He put out some very good music at a young age and threw away all
>critical acclaim to climb on board the disco/power ballad wagon somewhere
in
>the late seventies. I agree that "maggie may" and "you wear it well" are
good
>songs, but he sure has put out a lot of dreck the last twenty years.

I wouldn't normally abuse the list by defending Rod's honour, but I'm trying
to send a big huge message, so I've got time on my hands.

First of all, congratulations on reaching the ripe old age of 37. I'm 29. To
be honest I'm not sure if Rod has got my respect, but these two records
certainly have. I listened to them today to make sure, and they are good,
and very weighty. I think Rod himself is always (mistakenly) the forst to
say that his disco efforts are shit. Everybody ddid disco when disco was
big, I don't know why, but there it is. "Baby Jane" is also quite good,
although I haven't got it. I also enjoyed his "Unplugged" outing, with his
"old mucker" Ronnie Wood. He has also done a lot to popularise Tom Waits,
whether or not that is a good thing I don't know, but I might try to find
out. As for power ballads, I suppose "Sailing" has to be included there. I
like it. It reminds me of thousands of people singing "We are Derby, We are
Derby, Derby County, Super Rams!", and whether or not it's chronologically
correct, I like to think that coincided with the riegn of "King" Charlie
George at the sadly defunct Baseball Ground. MIke Brolly just isn't a
romantic enough figure. Also, it reminds me of all the lads on the Ark
Royal.

I can't think of anything else to add to this feeble defence of Rod Stewart,
but my message still hasn't gone.

I think Rod Stewart is better than Elton John. He used to spend a pound a
week on his hair, which is more than can be said for Elton. And I think he
must have inspired Stuart Murdoch's leopardskin trousers. And he has the
most amazing breasts, bottoms.

Peter