Sinister: suggested reading material

Chris Borne chrisp1 at xxx.net
Fri Feb 13 05:57:46 GMT 1998

Has anyone else out there read "Our Noise" by Jeff Gomez?   I found it in
the discount bin at the Tattered Cover.   This is a rather large bookstore,
so I'm not sure if you'll find it at the local small shop.  I really
enjoyed it.   The novel isn't going to go down as a modern classic, but
here it goes:
The book is about 20-somethings living in the States in the late 80's.
Everyone is into the growing indy music scene, and the book takes place in
Charlotte VA, or some such city.  It actually captures the Gen-X feel of
the 80's, and I identified with these characters more than with Copeland's,
maybe because they listened to alot of the same CD's that I did.   Not
purely a grunge-fiction book, more like 80's punk-pop.   The characters
seemed very like my friends 10 years ago (Yes, I'm a bit older than most of
the list members, I'm over 30, but don't shoot me) in a scary way, I
remembered some of the sordid sides of the scene, drugs, sex, the
sleep-with-me- because-I'm-in-a-band, and we're the next ones to get signed
and out of this cow town.   The view on relationships reminded me of some
really bad break-ups, and stupid nights on the town, waking up in morally
comprimising positions, so to speak.   So, for anyone wondering what it was
like to be in the US in the scene 10 ears back, or if you want a little
nostalgia for those irresponsible days and drunken nights, this is a pretty
fun and realistic read.   It won't make the great classics of liturature,
but I for one can't be heavy all the time, that's how this old fart stays
young, by stimulating the mind with a good book, and refusing to act my age
(Or even of drinking age, for that matter).
So you all are subjected to my long-winded e-mails, as I act like the Peter
Pan child within.
I love you all,
funny names and whatnot
The crispy one