Sinister: Dylan in the Movies

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Fri Feb 13 06:50:41 GMT 1998

> There was also a film called Renaldo & Clara he appeared in, I think its a
>  concert film but I don't know anything else about it.

Renaldo and Clara was filmed during the Rolling Thunder Revue tour that Dylan
undertook in the mid 1970's.  It isn't a concert film, but had a loose script
that was sort of adapted to what was happening during the tour -- which
featured Rob Stoner, Joan Baez, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Allen Ginsburg, Joni
Mitchell, Roger McGuinn, Ronee Blakely, Sara Dylan and many many others coming
and going (including Jack Kerouac's grave).    Dylan plays a poet named
Renaldo, Ronnie Hawkins is Bob Dylan, Sara Dylan is someone called Clara and
Ronee Blakely is Mrs. Dylan.  Joan Baez is herself, a whore and a mystery
woman... Something like 100 hours of film were shot and afterwards Dylan
worked to turn it into a coherent film. It was panned universally, leading
Dylan to say, "Maybe there are only two or three people in the universe who
are going to understand what it's about."  But hey, it was his $1.2 million,
you know?

Sorry to go on and on... too much caffeine too late -- and avoidance of other
things