Sinister: Lovin' Spoonful

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Sat Feb 14 14:04:04 GMT 1998

The Duke Of Harringay wrote ...

>Jonathan Wren wrote:
>
>> I was eating my breakfast yesterday when, on Melody Radio (my parents
>> choice NOT mine!) a song came on by a group called Loving Spoonfull.
>> Now, the song was pretty insipid cack
>
>sorry about this in advance, but i'm feeling a bit uptight today.
>today?  ha ha!  Look; if you don't realise the genius and importance of
>The Lovin' Spoonful then you are... lost.  I mean, Pop.  Aw fuck i give
>up.  Listen to Summer In The City, or even better NAshville Cats and
>best of all Do You Believe in Magic.  Read that again: DO YOU BELIEVE IN
>MAGIC?
>
>Do you?
>
>I don't see how you can say you love Belle & Sebastian and then say that
>a Lovin' Spoonful song sounds like 'cack'.. I just don't get it: they're
>the same sensibility, they're about the magic of Pop and life and aw, if
>you don't get it then i don't care anymore.  You can just be ignorant
>for all i care.

"What can I say ?" (Jetset) ...

Alistair is absolutely right, the Lovin' Spoonful were a wonderful and
highly influential Sixties band which deserve so much more than being termed
as "insipid cack" ... for example, bands like the marvellous Swinging
Sixties quartet The Smoke named the Lovin' Spoonful as their first and
foremost influence ... bringing up the thoughtless description of "insipid
cack" here is the same as characterising the Beatles as a bunch of
untalented and insignificant loosers on the Oasis list ... but then again,
someone characterised *early* Nico as "crap" on this list a few days ago ...
I wouldn't be surprised if someone named Donovan as the worst artist in the
history of Glasgow (or even better, Australia).

Personally, I always turned back to the Sixties when being unsatisfied with
the P!O!P! scene at a given time ... and I'd strongly suggest that many
P!O!P! artists are influenced by the Sixties, of course including Belle And
Sebastian ... another question for those participating in the online chat
thingie, be assured that one or the other member is even aware of less
popular Sixties acts like, for example, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental
Band.

>Everett True said how he still cares about the whole deal of music and
>experience and the magic of rock'n'roll but that most of the time it
>hurts too much to care.  i know what he means but i think that the pain
>of caring is easier to deal with than the pain of not caring... But that
>said, i think it's hurting me too much right now.  Consumption has made
>me sick.
>
>ignorance has made me sick.
>
>so long and don't look back...

Come on ... "Some of us still burn!" (The Legend!) ...

On a personal note, I like the idea of that compilation-cassette
competition, does your Exeter invitation include the travelling expenses ? ยง;^D

"Dive into yesterday" (Kaleidoscope/UK)

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella