Sinister: Re Tigermilk

aadam at xxx.com aadam at xxx.com
Mon Feb 16 05:43:50 GMT 1998

Stephen J. Wood wrote:

> It seems to me that now Tigermilk is supposedly fetching 100 to 200 pounds
> sterling, someone is bound to bring out a vinyl bootleg, if they haven't done
> so already. (and if they have, I'd quite like a copy!).
>
> A bootleg will be a close copy of the original, but with presumably some
> inevitable loss of sound quality.
>
> The bootleggers make a load of money by fooling fans, who may never have seen
> an original to tell the difference anyway.

What you are referring to is a _Pirate_.
Pirate records are ripoffs of something that was put out legitimately.
Bootlegs are of music that was never released (like if someone made a
B&S at the BBC), or released in a different form ( like some of the
remix collections that came out in the early '90's).

It is very importiant to _me_ for people to make this distinction.
Bootlegs, although I don't condone them, provide collectors with
otherwise hard or impossible to get material.
Pirates just ripoff the band, the record company, and ultimately the
consumer because the quality is substandard. Most of the cassettes
bought in 3rd world countries are pirates. In those places the copyright
laws are relaxed, so it may not be illegal, but they almost always sound
poor.

In the case of B&S, if someone made an exact replica of Tigermilk and
tried to pass it off as the real thing, it would be piracy.
If someone made it and sold it to retailers or the public as a bootleg,
then it would be so under my definition because of its scarcity.

Sometimes it's a fine line. Usually it's not.
Anyway, we'll get a proper reissue someday, and then it won't matter.

Aadam
Cap't of the nomenclature police