Sinister: Oh Deary Deary Me.

Adrian Evans aevans at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 16 10:02:48 GMT 1998

Apologies to Honeymonster for the obvious abuse of his list as some political forum, but :

>Sarah rather tediously wrote :

>Today Matthew, I am going to be a political demonstrator. Yes, today was
>our march to County Hall against bus pass expenses, fees and the whole
>education cuts. we got the paper and the radio down as well, which we
>were quite pleased with.

>We saw a few beaurocrats in suits, when they found their ways 'out of
>meetings', but basically I have no idea if anything was achieved. I
>think that most students who came just did it for the heck of it, not
>because they cared about the cause.

Thanks luv...a few of these beaurocrats in suits happen to be on the list !!
I think you'll find it's the politicians who make the decisions on swingeing cuts.

>I do not mean to. And no I am not in SWP or the Communists. I happen to
>care about education. I think it is time that people realise it is not
>only the Uni fees that are being cut, it is EDUCATION as a whole.

You make it sound like the average LG officer doesn't care, and doesn't have a life outside work, and isn't affected in any way !...Like none of us have families and kids or anything.

>The council, who stop our transport fees, so we can't PYSICALLY *GET* to
>college are funded by the govt who on a national level are charging
>fees. People have to start realising that. It is a part of the whole big
>picture.

I don't know which Authority you refer to, but in Devon Education and Social Services haven't done badly at all in terms of budget cuts over the last few years.
If we don't start pumping more money into roads in this part of the world, before long we will all have to walk everywhere anyway.

>it is disgusting that they are not only making education into a
>privilige for the wealthy (speaks a person whose parents can just about
>afford fees by the way), but they are cutting it on simple levels, such
>as lunch vouchers, travel expenses, textbooks, education should not be
>for those who have rich mummies and daddies it should be for everyone.

You are right it is disgusting, but in recent years people like myself have merely been a glove puppet with a politicians arm up yer jacksy.
You are right to moan to your local authority, if only more people would...but the blame lies firmly on Whitehall.

Sorry to get me arse in me hand !
--
Adrian.

Pity would be no more