Sinister: Lovin' Spoonful/Cack fun

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Feb 16 10:44:36 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: Jonathan Wren <jwg.wren at dial.pipex.com>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: domingo 15 de febrero de 1998 15:54
Asunto: Re: Sinister: Lovin' Spoonful

ha ha!  Look; if you don't realise the genius and importance of
>> >The Lovin' Spoonful then you are... lost.  I mean, Pop.

Let's imagine that the sixties pop scene is British football. There are two
Anfields in Britain, one in Liverpool, one in Stirling. Which do you got to
first? Liverpool probably...the Beatles...fifty thousand number ones on the
trot and six consecutive European Cup wins. The atmosphere is electric and
everyone talks funny. While you're in the area you might as well go to
Goodison Park for a ride on the escalators. Cilla Black. Off to Tranmere
Rovers for a bit of Gerry and the Pacemakers. Now you've had enough
Merseybeat for a while, so you leave the Swinging Blue Jeans for another
time. They are that non league team from the place where they filmed the end
credits of Dad's Army that sometimes do quite well in the FA Cup and have
got a comedian for a manager. Instead you decide to visit the other Anfield,
or Annfield, I'm not sure. There you see East Stirlingshire, or some such
gem of a team (again, I'm not sure). Technically they are not very good, but
every now and then there is a bit of excitement, the tea's quite nice for a
change and the people are really friendly. One of the opposing supporters
has brought a big bell to ring instead of a rattle to rattle. Your neighbour
tells him that if he doesn't stop ringing that bloody bell he's going to
stick it right up his arse for him, and you laugh. Just as you are leaving
after ninety minutes of pleasant entertainment an old man with a weather
beaten face comes up to you, grabs your arm and whispers "Lovin' Spoonful,
sonny, Lovin' Spoonful" "What are you on about, old crone?" you ask him. The
man draws your face close to his and hisses "Do you believe in magic? DO
YOU?"

That mysterious old man was the Duke of Haringay on field manoeuvres in his
native Scotland. It's best to take his rants with a pinch of salt and enter
the fantastic Duke Box Dury Competition. My own entry is almost finished,
and I can't wait to see how it fares.

Peter, the Pauper of Pop