Sinister: Manix / Decsy's

Gerard Wood gwood at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 17 16:57:38 GMT 1998

At 2:14 pm +0000 17/2/98, Keith Watson wrote:

>Hmmm, sorry Sarah, still think Manics stuff is shite, I have listened to it,
>I'm not just judging from outwards appearances, I've read almost all their
>interviews since from when they started too, and I think they're great like
>that, I still just don't like the band though.
>
>    Still "Until I believe in my soul" by Dexy's is top, again, no
>"intelligent" reference points, just kind of what Kevin Rowland's good at,
>being very straight forward. Will love that record till the day I die.
>Oops, just remembered Burn it Down's stuffed full of references. Never mind,
>it's got a top brass break.

I hope you don't mind me writing....

I'm very much with Keith here.  My reason for not being a fan of the Manics
is simply that I don't like the music, and I'm afraid a good lyric alone
does not make a good song in my book. Although the reverse case can be
quite different.

"There There My Dear" also has one or two references, doesn't it?  If you
can understand them (!).  That song has a great lyrical approach - it was
written as a letter, and sentences were then hacked about to get it to fit
to the melody. The song words don't exactly make sense (at least
grammatically), but it makes for a superb song.  I love Dexy's, me.

waltzer Gez.