Sinister: re: white horses

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Feb 17 18:49:36 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: andrew dean <koogydelbbog at yahoo.com>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: martes 17 de febrero de 1998 11:51
Asunto: Sinister: re: white horses

The lovely Andy Dean didn't know what he was starting when he wrote:

>no, the song on the end of that tape is 'white horses' by Jacky (and i
>know, i put it there!). it was a hit in the late 60s and is a theme tune
>to a kids' tv show about, duh!, white horses that aired in the early 70s
>on bbc tv, saturday mornings before whatever 'live and kicking' was
>called in those days.

As I recall, there wasn't anything like Live and Kicking on BBC until
Multi.Coloured Swap Shop opened its doors for business (which bloody well
reminds me, Trousers, where the dickens has the Monday poem got to? That
didn't last very long did it?), it was just a collection of kid's programmes
such as Zorro, The Flashing Blade and the Banana Splits (which was in itself
a forerunner of the Swap Shop format) with the odd cartoon (have you ever
noticed that whenever you put a group of people in a room together they
always end up talking about Northy?), followed by an Abbot and Costello
film. Over on ATV they were way ahead of the pack with Tiswas, which always
used to finish with an episode of Tarzan. Featuring Jai, who later, as
Kurtis Blow, played a major role in the development of hip hop.

My brother's wife has got the original "White Horses" single. A couple of
years ago I underwent lengthy negotiations with her to get it. All went
well, and eventually she bequeathed me her entire vinyl collection
except....White Horses. So I was left with a pile of Imagination and Police
LPs that none of the secondhand shops in Nottingham were willing to take off
my hands. There is a moral to this story somewhere.

The Flashing Blade had an even better theme tune. Occasionally they showed
that Jerry Lewis film where he plays the part of an alien who can't kiss
anybody without his nose bending. No wonder the French consider him a genius
. My lamp has broken. Is that a good enough excuse to sit here spouting
shite instead of working?

Peter