Sinister: B&S in Q/Do you like American music?

Reid Dossinger itstrue at xxx.net
Wed Feb 18 12:39:02 GMT 1998

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but there was a little sidebar thing in
the "new" issue of Q (with Madonna on the cover) that asks folks what they thought of
a show they just saw, and one of the shows they ask about was the Sunday B&S
show in Manchester.  Are Jamie Holborn, Julie Leary, Rob Hargreaves or Tim Hopkins
on the list?  If'n you are, you now have your picture and comments for Q readers to
see.  For those of you who just want to read this little bit without buying the
magazine, it's in the back with the concert listings.

And on another note:

>  for every shitty american band,
> you can name 30 great english ones.

And vice versa.  Just because your record collection is majority British bands doesn't
mean you are somehow required to rag on American bands.  There are plenty of great
American bands.  And what bands sell a ton of records should not be representative of
a whole country's music scene.  Belle and Sebastian are not exactly on the same level
(popularity-wise) in Britain that Matchbox 20 are here.  And that Smash Mouth song is
brilliant, even if the rest of the album is rotten.

Somewhere in England right now, some kid is saying, "British music sucks!  The
Americans get all the good bands like Ben Folds Five and Soul Coughing and the Roots
and we get Hurricane #1 and the Seahorses".

~Reid