Sinister: Stuart M request

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Feb 18 19:20:45 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
De: Honey <honey at Majordomo.net>
Para: sinister at majordomo.net <sinister at majordomo.net>
Fecha: miƩrcoles 18 de febrero de 1998 14:58
Asunto: Sinister: Stuart M request, guaranteed no Columbo content

Paul asked:

>Can I also ask for an explanation over booths/cubicles/kiosks?  I've
>always wondered what the difference is.

Sorry Paul, I didn't see this before. It must be all the excitement.
A booth (sometimes called a nudie booth) is a small room where people pay to
go and see rude ladies dancing
A cubicle is where you get changed to go swimming, unless it is an open-plan
changing room, such as the ones we have been discussing lately in the Big
Tackle / Catfish thread.
A kiosk, as anyone will tell you, is where you have to go, isn't it?

Rod Stewart asked:

>*What makes a biscuit a biscuit and a bar a bar?

Forwarded message from Peter's Dad:

Well, I don't know if this is good enough to settle the argument for good,
but a recent test case could provide some clues. many viewers will be
familiar with McVitie's Hob Nobs, tasty wheaty things that get stuck in your
teeth, available both nude and chocolate coated. They are round, and are
referred to on the packet as "biscuits". The launch of Hob Nobs was the most
succesful ever product launch in the long history of United Biscuits. Sir
Hector Laing was able to retire a relatively happy man. Later, McVitie's
decided to try and capitalise on the success of Hob Nob biscuits by
introducing a new version. Individually wrapped, it was oblong in shape and
had a bit of fondant icing in the middle. The tasty wheatiness was retained,
but the fondant icing "jazzed it up" a bit too much for the tastes of many
pensioners, myself included. They were directed towards the tight-fisted mum
market, destined to end up in many a child's lunch box instead of a nice
Twix. I'm referring, of course, to the Hob Nob BAR.

But it's still a biscuit.

As a rough guideline, I would suggest that a bar must be shaped like a gold
bar (I watched Goldfinger last night), come in a gaily coloured wrapper, and
be bathed in luxurious chocolate. All of which is untrue for biscuits, as
any gingermen of your aquaintance will gladly testify.

But...

Those things you buy in health food circumstances, usually consisting of
squirrel innards and bumble bee pooh, are called "bars", yet they are
usually chocolate free, which only adds to their disgustingness.

Ship's biscuits often contain weavils. The rest, as they say, is
predictable.

The most famous person in the world is boxing promotor Don King.

Peter's Dad.