Sinister: re: white horses

Richard Lander rclander at xxx.net
Thu Feb 19 01:25:20 GMT 1998

>The lovely Andy Dean didn't know what he was starting when he wrote:
>
>>no, the song on the end of that tape is 'white horses' by Jacky (and i
>>know, i put it there!). it was a hit in the late 60s and is a theme tune
>>to a kids' tv show about, duh!, white horses that aired in the early 70s
>>on bbc tv, saturday mornings before whatever 'live and kicking' was
>>called in those days.
>
>Then the equally wonderful PJMiller added:
>
>As I recall, there wasn't anything like Live and Kicking on BBC until
>Multi.Coloured Swap Shop opened its doors for business, it was just a
>collection of kid's programmes such as Zorro, The Flashing Blade and
>the Banana Splits (which was in itself a forerunner of the Swap Shop
>format) with the odd cartoon (have you ever noticed that whenever you
>put a group of people in a room together they always end up talking
>about Northy?), followed by an Abbott and Costello film.

There was a whole plethora of those dubbed black & white series which were
run over and over again during Saturday mornings and long school holidays.
Not just White Horses [did this series originate in France?] but also the
original Belle & Sebastian and Robinson Crusoe and in colour there was The
Flashing Blade. The BBC also used to continually showing Zorro, Whirlybirds,
Champion the Wonder Horse and Casey Jones.
Oh hell we seem to be plunging backwards in time through the history of TV!

Richard
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4039573
rclander at netfront.net