Sinister: sweet dreams... and did you notice...?

LNDuggan at xxx.com LNDuggan at xxx.com
Mon Feb 23 22:52:21 GMT 1998

sarah wrote:

> So, who else on this list has a penchant for bad '80s toons?

Oh, the worst one *by far* was the Smurfs.  My mom had diabolical methods
(usu. involving Pop Tarts) of luring my sister and I away from that show on
Saturday mornings so we'd make our ballet lessons on time.  She didn't like
that show cause it only had one girl, and she was silly, all batting eyelashes
and piercing giggles.  Anyway, my sister and I watched the Smurfs for old
times sake once, and we noticed that there's this male Smurf who wears a white
hat like the others, only his has this gaudy purple daisy stuck on it, and
when the other Smurfs do something neat, he exclaims "fa-AA-bulous!" in this
totally camped-up voice.  Hmmm...  the animators wouldn't be trying to imply
something, would they?  wonder what my mum made of *that*...

and now the other bit (B and S content, albeit slim) -

Did you notice that during "Century of Elvis", you can hear the words to
"Century of Fakers" in the background?  And that the run-out grooves of the
"3.. 6.. 9" singles say "Masterpiece."?  (that always gets a smile from me -
warm and fuzzy, not derisive)

so I hear that the High Llamas will be touring near me... they're one of those
groups that I hear *about*, but never actually hear, but they have a Stereolab
connection of some sort, so they could be good.  So whaddaya say, kids, are
the High Llamas worth going to see?  Keep in mind that I just paid for me and
my best friend's ticket to the radiohead / bjork show, so I'm broke as the Ten
Commandments, and that falling in love with B and S has raised my musical
standards significantly...

love,
leeann

"Sid James speaks to you like God"