Sinister: sweet dreams... and did you notice...?

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Tue Feb 24 03:26:44 GMT 1998

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 LNDuggan at aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, my sister and I watched the Smurfs for old
> times sake once, and we noticed that there's this male Smurf who wears a white
> hat like the others, only his has this gaudy purple daisy stuck on it, and
> when the other Smurfs do something neat, he exclaims "fa-AA-bulous!" in this
> totally camped-up voice.  Hmmm...  the animators wouldn't be trying to imply
> something, would they?  wonder what my mum made of *that*...

I think that would be Vanity Smurf... Oh, wait, that was the one who was
identified by his mirror.  No, this one that you describe was Dandy
Smurf.  Quite ambiguous if you ask me.

> so I hear that the High Llamas will be touring near me... they're one of those
> groups that I hear *about*, but never actually hear, but they have a Stereolab
> connection of some sort, so they could be good.  So whaddaya say, kids, are
> the High Llamas worth going to see?  Keep in mind that I just paid for me and
> my best friend's ticket to the radiohead / bjork show, so I'm broke as the Ten
> Commandments, and that falling in love with B and S has raised my musical
> standards significantly...

Yes!!!!!  I saw Stereolab (for the second time! Heh heh!) in December
with the High Llamas, and they are WONDERFUL.  They sound like the best
Stereolab (Metronomic Underground, for example) mixed in with the worst, but
most endearing, Paul McCartney songs (like Silly Love Songs or
something).  There is a little Tim Gaines/Laeticia/High Llamas side
project out on Drag City, and, at the moment, the title escapes me...

The best thing about the High Llamas live is that they have, like,
fifteen people on the stage with various instruments, and the lead guy,
whose name I dion't know, picks up a banjo, a guitar, sings a bit, plays
the organ a bit, plays the harmonica, etc., turning himself into a one
man band in a beautiful symphony of noise.  Check out their Hawaii album
if you've got a chance.  Hope this helps you.

-Kristen