Sinister: Nostalgia is the New Rock and Roll

Neil Hargreaves 9607129h at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:42:23 GMT 1998

Even if you
                  are not
                              intrested in biscuits nad k80's TV
listen anyway....

 the last time I can remember talking about things
like this a lot (though some people would say I do it all the time)
was when I first came to University. And my friends also did a
lot of it before we left University.
Okay here comes the wanky bit...
I think this happens amongst any group of people than need to
reaffirm the fact that they have the same cultural roots and past...
We talk about these things not really to remeber them but just to
confirm that other people remember them. So when We are about to
leave or have just entered a social group we to it a lot to reafrirm
or create links. Its a relief to know people think like that/ watched
that programme...Since *we* dont have my much face to face contact we
do it too... The weird thing is that in the nineties the cultural of
childrens TV and stuff is a repeated one. Those cartoons weren't new
when we watched them. We weren't first to eat those bars. So this
kind of talk now can break down generation gaps too. And this stuff
is still being repeated.
 Basically this is a kind of conversational pop music.
It provides the same thrill of community and shared discovery. It
unites poeple in the smae way...
The Hanah-Barbera theory of Infinitly Self Perpetuating Cultural
Hegemony (hemogeny?) Explains All....

If you made it this far thanks. If you skipped down to this bit read
the rest. Its more interseting than my usual stuff I think.

love
neil H