Sinister: _He's_ your Japanese boy??

Stip / Blue Music Stip at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:35:27 GMT 1998

All this talk of the eighties has reminded me of a couple of singles I
absolutely loved as an infant. Granted they may not have been the most
groundbreaking releases of the decade , but I distinctly remember
spinning these beauties on my Sesame Street portable record player.

The first was a song called Japanese Boy, by Aneka - an oriental beauty
(or so I reckoned) who, in all my innocence, I believed to have lost her
beloved baby son when she warbled 'he's my Japanese Boy, ooh-ooh I miss
my Japanese Boy (etc)'. Little did I realise it was a sordid and
spiteful tale of an eastern love-rat. My illusions were further
shattered when it was revealed in Scottish tabloid the Daily Record that
Aneka, this exotic, mysterious beauty, was in fact from a town 2 miles
from my own, was more likely to be found gracing the folk clubs of Fife,
and was in reality blessed with the rather less mystical title of Mary
Sandeman.

And then there was Bright Eyes. Forgive me, this one was actually late
seventies, but let's not become entangled in pedantics. I remember it
clearly. That Sunday afternoon I had enjoyed my first ever (and perhaps
only) experience of personal fulfillment - I had, all on my own, removed
the stabilisers from my bike and had sped down my street in a blaze of
two-wheel glory. My mum and dad, who were still together then, had gone
out and left me with the next door neighbour so I had no-one to share my
pride with, aside from my friend Jennifer who was reluctant to celebrate
due to the constraints of her tricycle.

Anyway, Karen, who was looking after me, knew what to do. I had
instructed her to call me in when the charts were on, regardless of what
I was doing. I remember her lifting me onto the kitchen worktop while
she turned up the top 10 countdown.

10 minutes later, my mum and dad returned. I was sat in Karen's kitchen
sobbing quietly, and they assumed I'd been a little over zealous on my
stabiliser-free bike. Karen, however, was sniggering into her cola, and
explained that I had actually broken down because Art Garfunkel's Bright
Eyes was number one in the charts and I couldn't contain my joy because
I loved it so much. I was four. How sad is that?

Sorry for rambling - that was way too long. I promise to shut up if
everybody promises to be happy again.

Love Nicola xxx
--
Nicola M