Sinister: re: Christgau Files

Francisco Alberto Wong faw1 at xxx.edu
Wed Feb 25 19:08:40 GMT 1998

Put this in your pipes and smoke it true-believers:

The unexpurgiated Robert Christgau review::

"BELLE AND SEBASTIAN: If You're feeling Sinister (The Enclave)

Sly guys, subtler gals.  Straight out my stereo, they didn't have enough
oomph to send me to their press kit--they go for dim where corporate pop
favors hot, their lo-fi more "Exile on Main Street" than Sebadoh.  So I
assumed they were two or three twee public-school snobs just smart enough
to mock their own privelage, with stray art buddies chipping in.  In fact
it appears (although they are coy about it) that they comprise seven
popwise Scots in the same general record-collector tradition as Orange
Juice, Teenage Fanclub, and Bis, none of whom sound like Belle and
Sebastian or each other.  And while younger folks debate the intellectual
content of Stuart Musgrove's [sic!] mild-mannered cynicism, for me his
clever affect is there to test the strength of his third-power catchiness.
You don't just recognize these tunes.  You don't just hum snatches in
tranquility.  You sing along, irresistably, sometimes with verse and
chorus both.  Just be glad Musgrove [sic, boy, sic!] is into bemused sex
rather than the glories of E, or attacks on the culture industry.

A MINUS"

*whew!*

told you.

	francisco