Sinister: the interpretation of sinister dreams

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Thu Feb 26 06:07:32 GMT 1998

finally, it is my long promised manifesto of list dreams.  being in intro
to psychology and reading freud in a writing class has gotten me thinking
about dreams.  so really, this is just the next logical step.  first off,
swannie's rather odd dream involving bidding on stevie's socks:

>>6) B&S dreams...I had one as well. I don't remember much about it...except
that a bunch of  us listees/chattees had gathered at some kind of bizarre
auction...they were auctioning off the band members' old mismatched
socks...and all I wanted was something olive green and argyle...and then
the auctioneer held up one right olive green argyle sock, formerly owned by
Stevie Jackson, I believe...and I rummaged through my pockets looking for
money but all I had was my student ID, and they wouldn't give me the sock
in exchange for a free meal in my university dorm's dining center...and I
started to yell at the auctioneer that he was being ridiculous, that this
was an unlimited salad bar we were talking here, when Paul and Tag and
Laurel and Tim and Chris and rachee all had to drag me kicking and
screaming from the auction.<<

first off, the use appearance of sinister chat people in your dream says
that they've become an integral part of your life.  or at least that you
spend way too much time in the chatroom.  (not that i mean to implicate
myself in this either.)  the socks are odd, that we were bidding on them.
at least i assume i was there.  because if there's ever an auction
involving the socks of popstars, i certainly don't want to be left out.
olive green is traditionally associated with military action, perhaps this
fits in with your willingness to fight for the socks.  aggression, a
typical case of the id displaying itself in the dream world.  and stevie,
well, he is charming little stevie.

socks are close to the feet.  the feet are an erogenous zone.  need i go
further with this?

now let's move on to the infamous song snake dream.  chris leonard wrote:

>>I dreamt i was watching television.  Does this illustrate how lonely i
am to dream of watching television?  Pity me.

<snip>

So SM lets us in and he goes "i'm going to get a new song".  And I go
"how do you *get* a new song" cos i'm now in the room cos it's my dream.
 And he says "I *get* them from the song snake".   And i say "whatever
is the song snake" and he says "hold on and you'll see".

SM then proceeded to open a cupboard.  Inside was a snake, about a foot
high wearing a really smart white suit sort of like bryan ferry.  He was
holding a fag in his wee snakey hands.  This was the song snake the
"coolest cold-blooded crooner" on the planet.  The song snake proceeded
to sing a song called "if i only had lips, then i could kiss you" which
i swear is the best song i have ever heard in my life.  It got better
when the wall in SM's house disapeared to reveal the Blues Brothers band
in their Minnie the Moocher togs and the song snake done some magic
break-dancing.

After the song was finished SM went "i think i've got it" and proceeded
to sing the song in a girly manner with no backing at all.   It sounded
friggen awful.  The song snake said "Kid, you got it".  Then i woke up
with a woody.  <<

television is a typical metaphor for passivity.  thus chris lacks control
of his dream life.  then we get to the snake.  why do i bother pretending
otherwise, it's phallic.  so is this somehow implying something about stuey
m's songwriting method?  are b&s the barry white of our generation?  yup,
when the belle and sebastian comes on at the discos, the kids must all
start doing the forbidden dance and end up in a wild orgy.  (i swear, i
haven't been reading freud).  but on the other hand, doesn't "if i only had
lips i could kiss you" sound like a perfect belle and sebastian song?
somehow i can almost hear how it should sound just by hearing the name.

the average male has an erection once every night.

trousers added to the thread by saying:
>>This dream business is getting quite disturbing,,, On Tuesday night I
dreamt that all bands, by law, had to include a B&S song in their sets
every time they played live. Last night I dreamt that I met Richard the
drummer. We shook hands and he told me I had the softest hands he had ever
touched. What does it all mean?<<

well, i'd be more than happy to anwser that.  the first dream is a classic
case of wish fulfillment.  in the second, hands are our form of dream
expression.  that you were shaking hands is a union, friendship.  er,
repressed desires?  i don't really want to touch the softness aspect.

then there's susannah's dream that she shared in chat.  i believe that one
is pretty obvious.

xoxo
dr. minka

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu