Sinister: Telling it how it is.... (Manc gigs)

the duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Sat Jan 3 11:00:27 GMT 1998

Honey wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, John Jackson wrote:
>
> > the duke of harringay wrote a load of shite:

for all of you new here, that's my trademark.
writing a load of shite.  i practise very hard you
know.

> Ok... (sound of offstage giggling) - let's calm
> it down a little
> please.  Strong opinions very welcome but
> gratuitous insults are not.

don't recall making any gratuitous insults, but
hey! i can oblige if you insist.  as an addition
to the thread about manchester and 'incompetence',
well i think there's a few more things to be
added.  firstly to say that actually, i've never
been that good about distinguishing between the
'music' and the appeal of the Pop group.  i've
said this a million times probably so won't say
any more except that in the show situation, i take
into account lots of factors, like who i meet,
where the show is held, what i do before and
after.  it's an EVENT, it's a part of my life.
the actual performance by a Pop group is only one
part of that experience.  reading a few other
people's reviews of saturday, they sound like they
had a great time despite the fact that the group
sounded, by their own admission, pants.  i think
that's really important, because there's much more
to loving a Pop group than just liking what they
sound like.  like what i said in my own review:
lots of smiling faces and lots of earnest looking
young boys (men, whatver).  the earnest young men
(i'm being general because it usually IS males)
miss a lot of the fun potential.  i should know,
cos i used to worse than most.

secondly, um what else did John say: 'Yeah, I paid
TWENTY TWO pounds
so they can piss about and enjoy themselves and
put on a
substandard show.'

well i don't think they intentionally piss about,
it just happens :-)  and if you think it sucks,
you can leave, feel pissed off and go discover
something else that doesn't piss you off.  i saw
The Smiths play on the queen is dead tour, and
they sounded dire, so i walked out.  okay, i
'wasted' some money, and i never liked the band
much after that, but hell, that was fair enough.
i saw Stockholm Monsters support and realised that
there were other exciting groups to obsess over.
i'd had several years of smiths obsession and saw
them play amazing shows on several occasions, so i
wasn't too bothered.  i just moved on.

john also said: 'If they don't please their fans
then they won't HAVE fans, just fools like you who
defend
everything they do, because "they have lives you
know" and
because they "DON'T do all the things
'normally'".'

yikes, it's official then, i'm a fool.  if it's of
any interest to you, the duchess agrees with you,
she 'sees' my point but doesn't 'respect' it! ha
ha.  i'm an unrespected fool.  great start to
1998.  but do i care, oh no...  i actually don't
defend everything they do anyway.  i thought that
the 'Sinister' songs on sunday night were largely
lacking in sparkle and sounded flat.  i said this
in my review and i told Stuart Murdoch as well.
so maybe i am a fool...  And do they care about
having lots of fans, or do they care more about
making recordings that they are proud of?  i'm not
a member of the band so can't answer it, but if
they DO care a whole lot about making (and
keeping) lots of fans, maybe they DO need to
polish up their live shows.  The answer is in
their hands.

> 2. Please remember this is a B&S list - this
> doesn't mean every message
> needs to contain a reference to Chris Geddes'
> underpants,

perhaps we can have a seperate list dedicated to
Chris' underwear?

> 3. I'm not going to let this list descend into
> squabbles - one of the
> amazing things about meeting people at the
> concert was how bloody
> nice you all were!

ah but paul, you never got to meet me!  in fact
not many did... probably because i was wandering
about being an unrespected fool talking a load of
shite.

> strong opinions and eccentric arse are
> strongly encouraged on the list - take your lead
> from the old-timers.

so now i'm not just an unrespected fool who writes
shite, but i'm OLD as well.  hey, 1998 is going to
be great ;-)

>  Majority
> opinions hold sway.

except when they're wrong,  i.e. i don't agree
with them.

> Erm - that's it.  Be nice to each other, marry,
> have babies and have a
> nice 1998.

be mean and moody, have sordid affairs, avoid
children at all costs... then you'll have a great
1998.  so that's me fucked then.

keep the faith

the duke

"What do I care what impression I make on people?
ItÂ’s because we waste our lives caring about other
people that most of us remain morons." (Colin
Wilson)

--
Tangents On-Line
http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/