Sinister: Telling it how it is.... (Manc gigs)

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Sat Jan 3 15:02:42 GMT 1998

the duke of harringay wrote:

> Honey wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, John Jackson wrote:
> >
> > > the duke of harringay wrote a load of shite:

He marched it up to the top of the hill and he marched it
down againAnd when it was shite it was shite, and when it
was shite it was shite
And when it was only halfway shite it was neither ship nor
sheep.

> for all of you new here, that's my trademark.
> writing a load of shite.  i practise very hard you
> know.

Good on you Duke. I applaud your shite. I enjoy your shite.
I enjoy everybody's shite. I sometimes feel that I'm going
to have trouble pulling my own weight, shite-wise, given the
staggeringly high quality of other people's shite. But I
will keep the faith and keep on churning out shite until I
am forcibly stopped. Unless I decide otherwise.

Can't really comment on the shiteness or otherwise of the
Manchester performances, but I would gladly bet my bobble
hat that they weren't pissing about on purpose just to annoy
people. Anybody can have an off night, even Michael Bolton.
It can be very disappointing, as can a piss-poor football
match or Alien 4.

Is the Front of House manager the bloke who twiddles the
knobs on the sound desk or whatever it's called? If so, I
watched the one in charge of the Barcelona concert for a
while, and thought to myself "what a sterling job that
fellow's doing". I think they had imported him specially,
but I don't know if it's the same one as in Manchester.
Specs, looked like my old boss Frank.

> .  i thought that
> the 'Sinister' songs on sunday night were largely
> lacking in sparkle and sounded flat.  i said this
> in my review and i told Stuart Murdoch as well.

What did he say?

> so maybe i am a fool...  And do they care about
> having lots of fans, or do they care more about
> making recordings that they are proud of?  i'm not
> a member of the band so can't answer it, but if
> they DO care a whole lot about making (and
> keeping) lots of fans, maybe they DO need to
> polish up their live shows.  The answer is in
> their hands.

Obviously something like a radiohead support slot would help
smooth things out, but I personally suspect that it would
take away some of the sparkle, make it all seem a lot more
like work. It's none of my business really. I wish I had
something of consequence to say on the matter.

Continuing in a Duke vein, I have been brushing up my
popology over the holidays by reading Nik Cohn's book
Awopbopalopbopalopbopalopbombamboo! What an entertaining
read it is! I particularly enjoyed his unrestarained
championing of Jimmy Saville. I hope to be able to join in
the next pop/rock debate with renewed vigour.

I also listened to Tigermilk. It's better than I thought it
was, even though my favourite member, Sarah, is not on it.

Peter