Sinister: Post-Manchester Ramble

Stuart Maclean S.D.Maclean at xxx.uk
Sun Jan 4 12:36:17 GMT 1998

Hi all, just thought as everyone else had  had their say, I'd wade in
too.  Um, so what did happen that weekend?  Arrived Sat evening,
booked in at our cheap hotel, alas not the Dolby but the Grafton down
by the Uni.  Off to Vinyl Exchange and Piccadilly for supplies first,
then roamed my way to the Square Albert.  Being the shy type I didnt
really say hi much for about an hour, though I was one of the first
there 8-(.  Still, Martin turns up and beers are proceeded to be had.
As it filled up a bit I said hi to Stuart and HoneyPaul and had a
general good gossip.  Ahem, bit worse for wear by 8, off we staggered
across the square to the Town Hall. Ha, another church! Pseudo-bar
upstairs and "please no drinks or smoking in the hall".  OK, hung
around, Arab Strap kinda came and went without exactly being there
(?!).  Is there such a thing as a "typical" B+S stage show, well
assuming yes is the reposte to that, then I'd say "typical B+S" stage
show, U-shaped stage!! PA looked quite small, yep very quiet gig to
come.  OK, so quite packed by the time I had finished another of
Murphy's beers, so I'm kind of near the back watching two stages side
on but with the sound right in front of me ;-)  And them, um, well, I
remember Photo Jenny as great and Century of Fakers as bop-along but
not much else, and then they were gone.... Had I come from Southampton
for this??  Still, no time to lose wallowing in the disappointment of
it all, taxi off to Smile, where the entire Town Hall crowd bopped to
such stupendous records as Therese, Carbrain and Pristine Christine.
Said hi to Julian, my mate Mark's friend.  OK Martin, its 2am, I'm
tired and drunk and the gig is coming back to me, off home.

Awake at 11 with no sign of aforementioned cohort, seemed he had "met
someone at the end of Smile and gone to theirs".  Blimey can't get the
staff these days ;-).  So, Sunday spent nursing hangover from hell, no
ticket for the matinee but not to worry, tonights gig MIGHT be great,
like Colchester after Oxford.  Its kinda like Charlie opening that Wonka
wrapper, this MIGHT be the golden ticket, so this gig MIGHT be the
best in history.  So, the Albert is closed, off to the Ferris Wheel,
glance at GMEX, into the Briton's Protection (sp?) for a hairofthedog
Tetleys. over to the Hall at 8.

OK, feel better now, hangover gone, on the cokes, meet friends up from
Wales (hi Mike and Fred) and good old Pat from Accies, who is amazed
to see me (I'm now sitting here typing this taping him TM ;-))

So, support come and go without a fuss, get nearer the front than last
night, that's better already.  Off we go at 9.30.  Modern Rock Song,
and its just wonderful. Sound is about a gazillion times better than
last night, and no its not just the lack of alcoholic stupor!  The
State I Am In next and if that isnt the best song in the history of
music....

A glitch for Le Pastis , never my fave anyway, but then Shes Losing
It, oh so wonderful, me thinks this next hour is going to be so great.

But a couple more go by whose titles elude me.  It is going off the
boil I think, tho still better than last night.

And, then, WOW revival or revival???  Century of Elvis just the best,
what a tune (hmm preaching to the converted here Stuart??) better than
horrid Fakers remake ;-)  And Judy and Seymour and Dylan and it just
flows and glides and this is the BEST BAND IN THE WORLD....  havent
felt like this in years, since oooh Codeine in London..  they play
for 80 mins and it just gets better.  Hey whats this, "Another Girl
Another Planet" to end, ha no, its "Sleep the Clock Around" and is this
the full cacophony or what, everyone seemingly at full pelt, but WHAT a sound.
Naff hotels and bad hangovers are forgotten, this is the place to be,
here right now, no matter the cost....

On the way out, opinion landslide that tonight swamped last, off home
to recover from a whirlwind time..

Hm, back to the "sounds like X" thread, anyone agree that We Rule
The School has the solo straight from Streets of London by Ralph
McTell ;-))

Just my 200 dollars ;-)

OK, slaggings-off welcome.

--