Sinister: Stirring up trouble!

Mark mark at xxx.uk
Sun Jan 4 19:34:47 GMT 1998

Thanks to all the people who mailed me privately to agree with my comments
on the Manchester shows.

Can we all agree on something here? Having a good time with your mates
doesn't make the gig any good - it just means you've had a good night out
at a shit gig.

I had a good time on the Saturday, it was just the performance that was
shit but I wouldn't tell anyone that I thought it was a good gig just
because I'd had a laugh with my mates.

And that comment about naivity that Tag made is ridiculous. Stubbornly
refusing professional advice equates suicide in this game. Learn from those
that have done it before.
Sure, they tried an 'unconventional' set up and I applaud that. They could
easily have made it work as well.

As a matter of interest, I hear that the band refuse to work with
'corporate' promoters such as MCP, SJM and Metropolis prefering instead to
work with Barry from Dingwalls under the Foundation moniker. Does anyone
out there really care if they use an independent promoter or not? Who knows
the difference? It's not like signing to Jeepster instead of signing to
Sony - it's more like making your own guitar because Fender are sell-out
corporate bastards.

I'd like to see them at the Royal Albert Hall, I think it would suit them
and the capacity is about right but has Barry got the money to put up as a
deposit? I don't know, maybe he has - but then, will they all be stumped at
the first production meeting when the hall start grilling you about flying
points and sightline seats? Who knows? And please - I'm not casting
aspertions here, I don't even know Barry, I've never done a show at
Dingwalls and I'm sure he's a smashing chap (with good taste - he's also
doing Tortoise) and it's very possible he DOES have all the relevant
experience necessary - I'm just trying to point out the stupidity of
(allegedly) refusing to work with 'corporate' promoters.

What next? Belle and Sebastian release a 78 on shellac?

Oh, and Peter's comment about the Radiohead support - they did get offered
that if I remember rightly. I reckon they would've got kicked off after the
first gig for having no road crew and hopeless engineers. Good job they
turned it down then!...

Mark