Sinister: Belle And Sebastian on the radio

Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB Nick_Dastoor/BSHO/GB%BSHO at notesgw.compuserve.com
Mon Jan 5 11:03:39 GMT 1998

Two Belle moments on local radio in London last weekend.  First Mark Eitzel was
on Sean Hughes' GLR show picking his favourite records of the moment.  I
somehow half-knew he was going to pick Belle & Sebastian and sure enough it
wasn't too long before "The Fox In The Snow" piped its pretty way through my
little clock radio speaker.  Songs are often best heard that way.  Mr Eitzel
said someone handed him IYFS at a concert in the US and told him he had to
listen to it.  So he did, and he didn't like it, but then he listened again and
now he loves it.  So: Mark Eitzel, Ian Broudie, some bloke from Travis, and
ermm...Ben Folds.  They're taking rock aristocracy by storm.

Then yesterday, on XFM's weekly singles review show attention somehow drifted
to Belle And Sebastian.  One of the reviewers, NME's Steve Sutherland said he
liked some of their records but "Didn't really understand them".  He challenged
the other two to tell him "What they were about" or something, which they
couldn't.  And I wondered what he was on about.  Actually, I'm very pleased to
hear that boring old Steve Sutherland is so bemused by them.  I mean I don't
know what it was that he was expecting to understand about them, and I don't
think I'd have much success 'explaining'  them (or any band I like for that
matter).  Would anyone else on the list be able to tell someone like him what
Belle and Sebastian 'are about'?

Nick

nick_dastoor.bsho at notes.compuserve.com