Sinister: Missing the point

Hopkins T t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 5 11:16:34 GMT 1998

	Mark wrote:

	>Maybe you'd be happy if they recorded the next LP by placing a
walkman in
	>the corner of a big room instead of spending a few days in a
'professional'
	>(oh my god!..) studio and using 'professional (here we go again...)
	>equipment with a 'professional' engineer.

	For my part, I'd be happy if it sounded good:-). Some of my very
fave records ever are recorded on what you, no doubt, would consider
dreadful equipment. So who cares?

	>And then they could release it on
	>cassette only without bothering to master it because they've got
lives to
	>lead and they just do things for themselves - fuck the people who
funded it
	>by buying the last record.

	Now I'm starting to get worried...Belle and Sebastian should do
exactly what they feel like doing. If a tape only release is what they
wanted, for whatever reason, then they should get right on with it. Although
Belle and Sebastian obviously operate within a commercial medium, it's
important to remember that this is art...they must do it for themselves! If
not, who are they doing it for? For some nameless public who 'deserve' a
'service'?

	As for 'fuck the people who funded it by buying the last record',
those people bought the last record because they wanted a copy of the last
record. We were not making a long-term investment in the career of a band.
If we don't like the next record, we don't buy the next record. Where's the
problem? Why is that 'fucking' those who bought the last one?

	I hate it when folk in the music industry apply some kind of moral
pressure for a band to be 'good', which inevitably equates with
'professional'. And the same people seem to get cross when a band does
something which seems to sit unhappily with a standard music industry career
path.
	The whole point with taking chances and doing things differently is
that the results are going to be a little variable. Doing the unexpected
inevitably means that someone won't like the result.

	>Duke, I think you'll find yourself in a minority here. Sorry mate

	Proud to be in a minority, as ever,

	tim