Sinister: Belle And Sebastian on the radio

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 5 11:57:35 GMT 1998

Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB wrote:

> Then yesterday, on XFM's weekly singles review show attention somehow
> drifted
> to Belle And Sebastian.  One of the reviewers, NME's Steve Sutherland
> said he
> liked some of their records but "Didn't really understand them".  He
> challenged
> the other two to tell him "What they were about" or something, which
> they
> couldn't.  And I wondered what he was on about.  Actually, I'm very
> pleased to
> hear that boring old Steve Sutherland is so bemused by them.  I mean I
> don't
> know what it was that he was expecting to understand about them, and I
> don't
> think I'd have much success 'explaining'  them (or any band I like for
> that
> matter).  Would anyone else on the list be able to tell someone like
> him what
> Belle and Sebastian 'are about'?

Aha, Steve's at it again. Irritating the shit out of me, that is. He
only impinges on my life every couple of years or so, but each time
without he's making some smart-arse self- congratulatory macho-posturing
point or other. The final straw was when he was still writing for the
Melody Maker and he insisted on having pops at Tom Waits for no apparent
reason e.g. an article about Perry Farrell which basically said Perry
was the real deal and Tom was a charlatan 'cos he hadn't lived the music
he wrote.. Like a) why Tom Waits ? He wasn't in the news at the time,
has no connection with Farrel other than nationality. Just seemed like
some personal vendetta which should have found it's outlet somewhere
else b) er, Ruby's Arms. It's a song. By Tom Waits. I'm sure Mr.
Sutherland wouldn't get this song either. But it makes me cry. Perry
Farrell made groundbreaking records with Jane's Addiction which have sat
on my record shelf unplayed for umpteen years. And then went on to form
the execrable Porno for Pyros.

Steve Sutherland is to journalism what Lenny Kravitz is to music. Bother
yourself with neither.