Sinister: I sees what i see...

Richard Banner c9712536 at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 5 18:46:39 GMT 1998

Belle and Sebastian Sunday Evening Gig
--------------------------------------

I've just returned too Uni and suddenly i have my email powers
back, so i would like to wish the list a Happy New Year.

Having to read through nearly 900 pieces of mail has given me a
bloody great headache and a must admit the delete button has
proved a saviour.  However...

I went to the Sunday Evening gig in Manchester and i must admit
that overall i had a great time. I thought that B+S played pretty
good.  From what i've read from the list it seems that many people
were not overly impressed with the Saturday performance.  This is
indeed a shame.  I felt that Sundays performance was pretty good.
To be honest i didn't think B+S were superb but it was joy to see
them and at times they bordered on brilliance.

I do have one major query though...

Who's idea was the room setup?

As a fan it was bizarre to be part of it, it didn't matter where
you were in the room your vision of the band at some point was always
obstructed and difficult.  Surely for a band so 'fresh' it would have
been better and aided enjoyment if there was a more conventional
layout.  Maybe a more linear approach would have made the sound better
too or at least easier to handle.  It was as if at times the band were
struggling with the whole setup.  However... i felt the setup did give
the gig a kind of 'unplugged' atmosphere and was easy to relax and
'just' listen.  That was cool.

I thought the set list was really good with some old favourites
and some new songs.  The two highlights for me was that 'hush
hush' cover tune, haven't got a clue who that was by but it was
performed superbly, and secondly about three songs from the end
a new song with a catchy guitar riff, good stuff...

I think overall the band performed well but i can't help but think that
they made their task far more difficult by an obscure setup.

Personally i felt that did well with what they had but maybe they
should learn to walk before they run?

Out of curiosity, where did people(the travellers)stay in the end, i
arrived late in the city with my girlfriend and another couple and
after getting lost and bothered around the dark streets we decided on
the Portland Thistle Hotel.  Now before you all start drilling me and
labelling a me rich bastard my girlfriend paid for this on Visa(she was
scared and cold), i was well impressed as you can imagine.  I think
they (the hotel folk)were even more impressed with our dress and
particularly my Pavement T-shirt!!!

Anyway enoughs enough so i better be going.
If anyone has any comments go for it...

Rich