Sinister: Blind love and devotion

MWaggner MWaggner at xxx.com
Mon Jan 5 17:46:05 GMT 1998

Just some commentary from a jealous B&S fan in the states:

Imagine my surprise to come home from sunny climes and see a brawl here, when
I thought there would be all sorts of exultation and that I would be turning
green with envy.

And I say, "Go Duke!" :)

It sounds like the shows in Manchester were much like the 3 shows here  in NY
last fall.  The first, the PBS taping, was very rough.  The band was set up
rather awkwardly in a sort of open circle and the sound was all over the
place.  I was sad that I couldn't hear the vocals, as I am a "lyrics" person
pretty much, but I didn't get pissed off at the band for it.  I thought they
were pretty much shy and nervous and actually found it pretty endearing (being
a mom and all).  They knew it wasn't all that good, because someone wrote an
apology for the show to my son with their autograph.

I would have been livid if I thought the band weren't "trying" or were taking
the audience for granted, but it was none of that.  Just seemed to be
awkwardness and that just happens.  They seem to want to do things their own
way and that is their right.  Eventually something will click, and there were
moments of that.

By Sunday's show, they were superb!  It met all my long-built-up expectations,
and everyone seemed more confident.  Again, as a mom-person, I was relieved
for them.
I didn't see the Saturday show, but the consensus was that Sunday was the best
of the three, as in Manchester.

I just felt kind of lucky to see the "progression" from awkward to beautiful.
It's that way with bands you love:  sometimes they give a crap performance,
but you go with that knowing you'll hear something wonderful another time.
There are some performers that I see over and over and I can't imagine a
perfect performance each and every time -- you're dealing with people, not
programmed robots. They don't owe me anything at all.  The fact that they can
make beautiful music is something I'm willing to wait to hear.  If one isn't
ready to accept that with this band, then it's just time to say they aren't
your cup of tea and move on. Quietly.

 If your perspective is not only musical, but "technical" as well, then maybe
you get pissed off that things weren't done "right."  I've been at shows that
were so badly run that the evening was a complete hell, but I rarely blame the
band.  More often the crowd for not adapting to it and making it bearable, or
whatever.  You can always sail right out the door if you don't like the
experience and can't make it something you enjoy.

Well, just had to put my 2 cents worth in.  Much as I love a good brawl, I
hope I didn't extend this one any farther than it needed to go....