Sinister: In a minority, and proud of it

Paul_Clarke at xxx.uk Paul_Clarke at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 6 10:51:45 GMT 1998

Someone said:

As a fan it was bizarre to be part of it, it didn't matter where
you were in the room your vision of the band at some point was always
obstructed and difficult.  Surely for a band so 'fresh' it would have
been better and aided enjoyment if there was a more conventional
layout.

     I imagine the layout of the hall was some kind of compromise between
     the band and someone who lives in the real world... a conversation
     along these lines no doubt occured:

     B&S: This new gig of ours, we want it to be as WACKY as possible...
     could we perhaps do it on the moon?

     SITRW: Someone in the real world: Hmmm, no.

     B&S: How about underwater somewhere?

     SITRW: Hmmm, no.

     B&S: What about down in a coal mine, the acoustics must be pretty
     inconducive to pop music down there?

     SITRW: Hmmm, no.

     B&S: I know, inside a huge open structure, like one of those
     inflatable gas containers... and we'll use FLAME POWERED AMPS!

     SITRW: Hmmm, no.

     B&S: Well, a high ceilinged barn that's short on atmosphere and where
     you can't drink or smoke is a DEFINITE.

     SITRW: Obviously away from London, you don't want to make it easy for
     the press to review you.

     B&S: Right, could you arrange the stage so that the band are in a
     different room to the audience?

     SITRW: Hmmm, no.

     B&S: What about hanging us from the ceiling, in all four corners so
     we're difficult to look at? Maybe the whole gig could be UPSIDED DOWN!
     BONKERS! We could tie all the audiences to the floor, and gaff tape
     their faces downwards so it's IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE US! And we could all
     swap instruments after EACH BAR instead of just each song! And we
     could roll dice to decide what song to play, but no-one is allowed to
     tell anyone else what song we're playing!

     SITRW: I know you don't like to compromise, but how about you do a gig
     in the middle of a sunday afternoon in a church hall, with the stage
     crowding round the audience, and the band all split up? It's not
     perfect, but it's quite inconvenient for the fans?

     B&S: BRILLIANT!