Sinister: re: century of...

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 6 22:09:08 GMT 1998

manchester was just plain weird though. yeah, doing gigs in
the round has been going on since before the globe theatre
was built. but usually the audience is around the players...
8)

(and yes, given that all the staging was brought in it could
easily have been arranged into a long, wide stage but i kind
of like the way they tried something different)

     I was there on Sunday night. I liked it too, the way the audience was
     corralled into such a small area, and subsequent band movements caused
     maximum confusion, and most of us opted to stare hopefully at the
     empty mike stands, instead of craning our necks to see the top of
     Stuart M's head ... so I had time to look around me and listen to the
     songs and watch the steady progress of a wee girl in a sheepskin coat
     who crept past me and who wouldn't be able to see a thing unless she
     got to the front.

     Afterwards, driving to  Birkenhead in the pouring rain we talked about
     how we felt about it. Four people's conclusions approximate as
     follows: Futile pilot were shite. The stage setup was unconventional,
     but worked. B&S kept us waiting an awful long time before they came
     on. But that was OK, because they were brilliant, technical hitches
     notwithstanding. Maybe a bit more polish next time but who wants
     slickness?

     I've seen a lot of bands (beginning with Japan at Edinburgh Playhouse
     when I was 14 in, er, 1982) and B&S was by turns one of the most
     moving, and quirky, and funny, and flawed. I think that's a good
     combination. Even the flawed part made no difference. It was just part
     of the experience.

     One note of dissent: I think Orange Juice's version of In A Nutshell
     could never be bettered. Or is this too dogmatic?

     Charlotte