Sinister: A good deed

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 7 12:01:25 GMT 1998

    Jeez, The bloody Verve. Like, Richard Ashcroft 'really means it, man'. All this album of the year everywhere palaver (sp ?),  Haven't got the album, but I've obviously heard the singles, and I'm nonplussed - pleasant enough MOR pop-rock. Lyrics not particularly noteworthy, all just very, y'know, just, er, just, unjust.

    I dunno about that, I think it's a little unfair, I'm sure he does mean what he says, and it's a pretty good album. I'd also easily rate Bittersweet Symphony as one of the singles of the year. What I like about them is the fuckoff big groove they manage to make when they're good, unlike any other white guitar band in the 90's bar the Stone Roses. Having said that, the LP's a bit disappointing really, compared to perhaps what it should have been, B+S are quoted in Melody Maker as saying that Verve are "Hype of the Year" which I'd disagree with, there's pretty much been no hyping going on at all, just reporting on what's happening, now Radiohead, there's a different story... Completely turgid, nothing new at all, I'm in pain etc. etc. This month in Q, Radiohead get the "Best LP of all time", for fuck's sake, nestling next to "Bat out of Hell", "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Tubular Bells" I suspect (Having said that, I'd much rather listen to that lot). So the way I see Verve is more like Sly and the Family Stone doing John Martyn songs rather than just another rock band really.

    Keith.