Sinister: influences and a request for some taping

David & Katrina bluesoda at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 12 09:43:44 GMT 1998

Sandy Blair wrote:

> >which is what i would like, so if anyone has a superior collection of
> >bert jansch's recordings and would be willing to do a tape, i'd really
> >appreciate it
> >
> >mail me with your address and i'll get a tape sent of to you
> >
> >david kitchen
>
> I hope that you get copyright clearence first...

 ah, wit in it's highest form.
you must be referring to the autumn spat about the recording of tigermilk
onto CD?
if so then i think you'd also agree that these things are in different
leagues.

i agree and support home taping to help distribute music in a non-profit
(swap) way.
but i do not agree with the production of CD's, as these nearly always
require a payment to be made, and it is from these that bootleggers are
given the opportunity to produce mass quantitty bootlegs.

belle and sebastian may be wavering over the re-issue of tigermilk but they
have stated publicly that this is something they plan, more a question of
when.
as such bootlegging would be a serious threat to it's imminent success and
would threaten to reduce the revenue that the band would receive.

if you think that bootlegging is just a myth and doesn't affect the
industry then maybe you should also read Saturdays Guardian.
some of the facts held within that included:
70% of music available in the former USSR is bootlegged
22% of the italian music industry is bootlegged
only £1.61 from a £13.99 CD ends up with the artist
globally 1in 3 CD's sold is manufactured illegally

if you would now like to argue that there is no difference between doing a
tape for someone and recording Tigermilk onto CD, then go ahead.
i have no difficulty in finding the strength to defend the bands future
revenue as i feel they above anyone else here deserve and have earned it.

david kitchen

"yes i know what i've now started"

@ the fanclub (but that doesn't make my views that of the fanclub, label or
band)

--
                 Belle and Sebastian Fan Club
     merchandise, mail-outs, chat, lyrics, poetry, fiction
               mailto:bluesoda at totalweb.co.uk