Sinister: Re:(NBSC) Other bands

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Mon Jan 12 14:34:08 GMT 1998

the duke of harringay wrote:

> > OK, I'll start,
> > Steve Reich

Is this the "it's going to rain, it's going to rain..."
bloke? Heard an interview with him on the radio not long
ago. Splendid chap, liked him a lot.

> > Loudon Wainwright III
>
> aaagh!  can't go with you on this one here... i
> listened to a few tracks ages ago cos my mates
> were into it and i couldnae stand it :-(

A question. The LWIII song on Big Star Live, Motel
Bloooooes, is it a comedy song originally? Obviously not
very comic in the Big Star version, but I read somewhere
that Loudon did a lot of comedy songs. Just a thought.

> > John Fahey
>
> i've got a bit of this on a tape someone made me
> once, and it's very nice... no idea about titles
> though.  i ought to explore more...

I've got The Legend of Blind Joe Death super extended CD
version with two versions of most songs. It's very nice,
especially for falling asleep to. According to the sleeve
notes, people in the swinging sixties used it as a
soundtrack for "making love". Takes all sorts dunt it?

> and even though i'd say that these people make
> records that are Pop to me simply because of how
> i'm defining that these days, here's a few of
> mine:
>
> Dexter Gordon

Meeeowww! Choo Choo Mitchell'll be slinking round in his
beret.

> Jon Hassell
> Les Baxter

Top one. I like the one with stairs in it. Or is that
someone else?

> Ernest Tubb
>
> Actually i was just going to write a piece about
> the Country influence in B&S.  maybe tomorrow.

I believe that it is a country influence filtered through
the Orange Juice influence.

> the duke

keep the faith.

> --
> Tangents On-Line
> http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
> Tangents On-Paper: PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
>
> tangent at mail.zynet.co.uk

your address upstairs has changed, but this one remains the
same. Dark deeds are afoot in Devon.

I'm beginning to quite like that Pakistani bloke who kicked
the bucket, Nusfrat Fatty Kahn, or something similar. Him
and his mates really get into a groove. My new flat mates
have got an album called tropical feelings or something. It
makes you feel like you're in the rain forest, sitting
between a tinkling waterfall and a bloke with a synthesizer.
I quite enjoyed it. Then I said it reminded me of Tangerine
Dream, and for some reason they switched it off.

Peter