Sinister: influences and a request for some taping

s.willis s.willis at xxx.net
Mon Jan 12 17:53:44 GMT 1998

Hello all!

Here we go

> > >which is what i would like, so if anyone has a superior collection of
> > >bert jansch's recordings and would be willing to do a tape, i'd really
> > >appreciate it
> > >
> > >mail me with your address and i'll get a tape sent of to you
> > >
> > >david kitchen
> >
> > I hope that you get copyright clearence first...
>
>  ah, wit in it's highest form.

	I think that it was probably meant as a joke and not to be taken too
seriously.

> you must be referring to the autumn spat about the recording of tigermilk
> onto CD?
> if so then i think you'd also agree that these things are in different
> leagues.
>
> i agree and support home taping to help distribute music in a non-profit
> (swap) way.
> but i do not agree with the production of CD's, as these nearly always
> require a payment to be made, and it is from these that bootleggers are
> given the opportunity to produce mass quantitty bootlegs.
>
> belle and sebastian may be wavering over the re-issue of tigermilk but they
> have stated publicly that this is something they plan, more a question of
> when.
> as such bootlegging would be a serious threat to it's imminent success and
> would threaten to reduce the revenue that the band would receive.
>
> if you think that bootlegging is just a myth and doesn't affect the
> industry then maybe you should also read Saturdays Guardian.
> some of the facts held within that included:
> 70% of music available in the former USSR is bootlegged
> 22% of the italian music industry is bootlegged
> only £1.61 from a £13.99 CD ends up with the artist
> globally 1in 3 CD's sold is manufactured illegally
>
> if you would now like to argue that there is no difference between doing a
> tape for someone and recording Tigermilk onto CD, then go ahead.
> i have no difficulty in finding the strength to defend the bands future
> revenue as i feel they above anyone else here deserve and have earned it.

	Um, ok. (says the following as he fastens helmet and backs into a
trench) if "doing a tape for someone" can include recording Tigermilk
onto a tape (you didn't specify), why is that then different to
recording Tigermilk onto a CD? If it is only going to one person anyway,
why does it mattter what format it happens to be on? If, say, I had the
equipment to record onto a CD would you be opposed to me copying
Tigermilk onto it for a mate so that s/he could listen to it?

Love and hugs

Tom