Sinister: influences and a request for some taping

David & Katrina bluesoda at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 12 21:58:55 GMT 1998

Sandy Blair wrote:

> >if you would now like to argue that there is no difference between doing a
> >tape for someone and recording Tigermilk onto CD, then go ahead.
> >i have no difficulty in finding the strength to defend the bands future
> >revenue as i feel they above anyone else here deserve and have earned it.
>
> So you have no difficulty stealing from Bert Jansch? What did he ever do to
> you? Why doe Bert, Mr Jansch and all the little Jansches not deserve food
> on their table?

i don't intend just to live of a tape of jansch or anyone else. i do intend to
order a shiny cd when i know that i do like him and have a rough idea of which
one to buy.
although shops like virgin our price have flexible returns policies they rarely
have a good enough stock to be able to find new things and experiment musical
preferences with.
i know from working in an our price that i would have to order a jansch cd
especially, special orders are exempt from their returns policy and as such there
is no way i could experiment cheaply.

--

s.willis wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Here we go

> > > I hope that you get copyright clearence first...
> >
> >  ah, wit in it's highest form.
>

>         I think that it was probably meant as a joke and not to be taken too
> seriously.

probably, but side swipes get me down, and eventually i feel i should defend
myself and attemp to make it clear why it is an important issue (bootlegging that
is).

> > you must be referring to the autumn spat about the recording of tigermilk
> > onto CD?
> > if so then i think you'd also agree that these things are in different
> > leagues.
> >
> > i agree and support home taping to help distribute music in a non-profit
> > (swap) way.
> > but i do not agree with the production of CD's, as these nearly always
> > require a payment to be made, and it is from these that bootleggers are
> > given the opportunity to produce mass quantitty bootlegs.
> >
> > belle and sebastian may be wavering over the re-issue of tigermilk but they
> > have stated publicly that this is something they plan, more a question of
> > when.
> > as such bootlegging would be a serious threat to it's imminent success and
> > would threaten to reduce the revenue that the band would receive.
> >
> > if you think that bootlegging is just a myth and doesn't affect the
> > industry then maybe you should also read Saturdays Guardian.
> > some of the facts held within that included:
> > 70% of music available in the former USSR is bootlegged
> > 22% of the italian music industry is bootlegged
> > only £1.61 from a £13.99 CD ends up with the artist
> > globally 1in 3 CD's sold is manufactured illegally
> >
> > if you would now like to argue that there is no difference between doing a
> > tape for someone and recording Tigermilk onto CD, then go ahead.
> > i have no difficulty in finding the strength to defend the bands future
> > revenue as i feel they above anyone else here deserve and have earned it.
>
>         Um, ok. (says the following as he fastens helmet and backs into a
> trench) if "doing a tape for someone" can include recording Tigermilk
> onto a tape (you didn't specify), why is that then different to
> recording Tigermilk onto a CD? If it is only going to one person anyway,
> why does it mattter what format it happens to be on? If, say, I had the
> equipment to record onto a CD would you be opposed to me copying
> Tigermilk onto it for a mate so that s/he could listen to it?
>
> Love and hugs
>
> Tom

the difference between a tape and cd recording is one of quality, but not a
perceivable difference unless you're incredibly fussy. a tape is poorer quality
and as such would not be used to produce bootlegs from, cd's on the other hand
are accepted as a standard for a master recording and can be used in
mass-duplication facilities to produce large runs of bootleg cd's.

i really do not feel that a cd recording is of immediate threat to the band's
future revenue, but it must be realised that should a mass production of
Tigermilk on cd ever originate illegally, it would probably have been done by
someone that we (as the list) know. simply because it is us (the fans, friends,
record company, etc) that own the original vinyl Tigermilk, so it is most likely
that the cd used would have originated from one of us (as it is unlikely that a
cd produced from a tape would be accepted by any but the most worthless
bootleggers). this is one of the most horrible realisations on this subject, and
it is this i would love to prevent. we can serve ourselves and protect the band
we love simply by restricting our own copies to tape format and not a digital
(master) format.

david kitchen

(still trying to be lucid enough to make sense)

@ the fanclub (and still not speaking on behalf of it or anyone else)

--
                 Belle and Sebastian Fan Club
     merchandise, mail-outs, chat, lyrics, poetry, fiction
               mailto:bluesoda at totalweb.co.uk