Sinister: Bootlegging from Vinyl

Matthew A. Neimark mattn at xxx.com
Tue Jan 13 15:06:07 GMT 1998

I remember how angry I was last autumn when this whole bootlegging Tigermilk thingy started.  Parachute wanted a CDROM so he could listen to Tigermilk.  Jeepster reponded (with a great lack of political couth in my humble opinion) threatening legal action against anyone who tried to produce a CD copy which in a way was strange because Jeepster does not even own the recording.

Since then, I have come to be more sympathetic to the Jeepster side as comes to bootlegs.  I mean, it's just not right for someone to be stealing their bit of intellectual property and amassing huge profits as a result.

Further, just to comfort B&S and/or Jeepster, CD's mass produced from a Vinyl source would be inferior to those from the Master Tape unless a great deal of money was spent trying to digitally remaster the sound.  Also, cateran on chat made it known that Cdroms, played on a regual CD player which lack the ability to oversample them, sound noticeably infererior (if one is an audiophile).

Now that doesn't mean that someone trying to make money wouldn't be able to peddle these inferior products making and making appreciable profit.  Frankly though, I don't think Jeester, Electric Honey, or Belle and Sebastian would be able to do anything to stop it.  In effect, the only thing protecting Belle and Sebastian right now is their relative obscurity.

However, it's really unfair to unleash that kind of anger we saw last fall on list members.  We are their biggest fans.  We're the ones who enjoy most listening to their music.  We are the ones who proselytize their music to the world.  We are not going to want to screw up B&S's musical careers.  Don't make us feel like pariahs.

Matt