Sinister: Bootlegging from Vinyl

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 13 16:17:47 GMT 1998

>Further, just to comfort B&S and/or Jeepster, CD's mass produced from a
Vinyl source would be inferior to those from the Master >Tape unless a great
deal of money was spent trying to digitally remaster the sound.  Also,
cateran on chat made it known that >Cdroms, played on a regual CD player
which lack the ability to oversample them, sound noticeably infererior (if
one is an audiophile).

Hmmm... I'm afraid this point doesn't seem to make much sense. If a CD
player reads a single circuit on a CD and the sum of all the bits on that
circuit doesn't match the checksum stored at the end of that circuit then it
will skip. All oversampling CD players do is attempt to read the circuit x
number of times in an attempt to get it correct before actually playing it,
they will also skip if unable to match the checksum. Either a CD will skip,
or it'll sound exactly the same as it did when initially recorded, in the
same way that if you take a binary computer program and splat a few zeroes
into the middle of the file, it's not likely to make the program just
slightly worse, just completely and untterly shaft it. I don't know where
this sort of stuff comes from, but there was an article a few years ago that
stated that should you keep your CD's in a fridge, they'd sound better!

>Now that doesn't mean that someone trying to make money wouldn't be able to
peddle these inferior products making and making >appreciable profit.
Frankly though, I don't think Jeester, Electric Honey, or Belle and
Sebastian would be able to do anything to stop it.  >In effect, the only
thing protecting Belle and Sebastian right now is their relative obscurity.

Frankly too, I'm quite surprised bootlegs of Tigermilk aren't already
readily available. I had a look in Barrowlands in Glasgow a few months ago
just out of interest, and there aren't even any tapes, never mind CD's.

>However, it's really unfair to unleash that kind of anger we saw last fall
on list members.  We are their biggest fans.  We're the ones >who enjoy most
listening to their music.  We are the ones who proselytize their music to
the world.  We are not going to want to screw >up B&S's musical careers.
Don't make us feel like pariahs.

Indeed. What got me thinking however, is the size of the wages bill that B+S
must accrue. Mick's previous band I remember were paying themselves 150 quid
a week or so living expenses, so if you extrapolate that to Belle and
Sebastian they must be paying a weekly wages bill of 1120 quid, this is
quite considerable - so on that evidence it's probably about time Tigermilk
received a legitamate release  or bankruptcy looms!