Sinister: influences and a request for some taping

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Tue Jan 13 17:08:08 GMT 1998

David & Katrina wrote:

> i don't intend just to live of a tape of jansch or anyone
> else. i do intend to
> order a shiny cd when i know that i do like him and have a
> rough idea of which
> one to buy.
> although shops like virgin our price have flexible returns
> policies they rarely
> have a good enough stock to be able to find new things and
> experiment musical
> preferences with.

Do they really let you take things back now? Wonders will
never cease. You don't even get a receipt here. You just
have to fuck off if you don't like it. Which helps explain
my lack of experimentationousness.

> i know from working in an our price that i would have to
> order a jansch cd
> especially, special orders are exempt from their returns
> policy and as such there
> is no way i could experiment cheaply.

I think you should just tape it and have done with it.
Unless you especially want a CD. The price is built into the
CD anyway, and Bert's table will hardly be affected. Lenny
Waronker will be the one to suffer. Home taping is a good
way of giving/getting something to listen to without handing
over huge sums of cash to Lenny Waronker.

> i really do not feel that a cd recording is of immediate
> threat to the band's
> future revenue, but it must be realised that should a mass
> production of
> Tigermilk on cd ever originate illegally, it would
> probably have been done by
> someone that we (as the list) know. simply because it is
> us (the fans, friends,
> record company, etc) that own the original vinyl
> Tigermilk, so it is most likely
> that the cd used would have originated from one of us (as
> it is unlikely that a
> cd produced from a tape would be accepted by any but the
> most worthless
> bootleggers). this is one of the most horrible
> realisations on this subject, and
> it is this i would love to prevent. we can serve ourselves
> and protect the band
> we love simply by restricting our own copies to tape
> format and not a digital
> (master) format.

I don't really agree with this. Someone said that loads of
copies were given away at a party so probably Nick O'Teen or
someone equally evil got hold of a copy. Also if people are
paying upwards of seventeen thousand pounds for a vinyl copy
it could be that they are doing it with the intention of
making a huge profit by producing bootleg CDs.

Any news about the stolen goodies? I dreamt about it you
know. Quite a good one. Been having a lot of funny dreams
since I moved house. Spooky.

Who is Bert Jansch?

Peter