Sinister: Bootlegging from Vinyl

Sandy Blair cateran at xxx.com
Tue Jan 13 18:28:09 GMT 1998

>Hmmm... I'm afraid this point doesn't seem to make much sense.

Why not? It is the disc pressing / burning method that is weaker, not the
playback.

>slightly worse, just completely and untterly shaft it. I don't know where
>this sort of stuff comes from

The 'Orange book' whatever that is.

Pressed CD: Total Harmonic Distortion 65db, S/N ratio 82 dB

Recordable CD: THD 55dB, S/N 80dB

Recordable CDs follow a different recording algorithm called Absolute Time
in Pre-groove (ATIP)
which uses a lower quality recording known as 1 time over sampling, normal
audio
 CDs use 4 time oversampling. (note it is the RECORDING that is noisier!).

And this would be from a perfect digital information source, add onto the
above, the sampling noise
(I have a AWE64 for instance, not nearly professional level) and you have
something that it pretty
 much matching an average tape dub.

Oh and I only have one Bert Janch CD (the compilation on Demon) which I
will not copy on CD or
tape as I just wouldn't sleep an nights if I did so