Sinister: Ve Haff Ze Teknologie

ELIZABETH DAPLYN EDAPLYNR3N00297 at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 14 12:39:36 GMT 1998

	Hello all you people.  I am extremely worried about certain
members of the list who appear to be showing symptoms of technical
competence and awareness of mechanical issues in relation to music
recording systems:

	<<A CD player reads a single circuit on a CD and the sum of all
the bits on that circuit doesn't match the checksum stored at the end of
that circuit then it will skip. All oversampling CD players do is
attempt to read the circuit a number of times in an attempt to get it
correct before actually playing it, they will also skip if unable to
match the checksum.>>

	This is very scary, and should be stopped as soon as possible,
preferably by electro-shock "therapy".  Or with huge amounts of
psycho-repressive drugs.  Or something.
		On the subject of mental health, did anyone apart from
me and my friend Charlotte watch or remember the series Taking Over The
Asylum which was on a couple of years ago on BBC 2?  For those who
didn't, it was about a double-glazing salesman who was also an amateur
radio DJ who got relegated to the post of spare-time Station Head at a
mental hospital in Glasgow, and the various japes (suicide, job loss,
Spike Milligan) which ensued.  I just mention it because
	a)it was fantashtic;
	b)it had a kind of B&S feel to it, now that I come to think
about it, in the sort of hopelessly grim romanticism which we all know
and love.

Regarding the Albert Hall:

> There are also choir seats and some really bad sightline seats which
> you
> can't really sell.
>
>>I KNOW!  I was in the Schools Prom in 1996 (ah, when I was but a wee
A-level student.  How time flies) and the choir I was in was placed in
those selfsame choir stalls (not unnaturally) which proceeded to terrify
us: we were very high up, we were next to the bass organ pipes (pretty
fuckin' loud, since you ask), the leg-room is cripplingly absent, and we
were all in permanent danger of leaning too far out while standing up to
sing and falling right out of the bastards.  These pieces of furniture
are NOT comfortable places to be, take my word for it, darlings.
	Having said that, however, the Hall itself is a lovely place,
although I'm not quite sure what purpose the giant ceramic mushrooms
suspended from the ceiling serve.

> Hmm, I really do think that Radiohead fans just don't like music
>
>>Thank you very much, mister.  I personally hate all tunefulness, truth
and beauty.  I only like eardrum-shattering squeals and strange
clankings sounds, and would much prefer it if all pop music vocals were
done by the computerised voice from Fitter, Happier.  Then, oh if only,
the world would be a much better place.  Oh, and it goes without saying
that I revile Belle & Sebastian too.  Obviously.  I'll just go off and
drown some kittens now shall I, with Pablo Honey playing in the
background.

>   If one must decide which cartoon characters the members of Belle and
> Sebastian have a resemblance to, then it recently occurred to me how
> much
> Stuart M. reminds me of Tintin, the reporter.
>
>>No no no!  Stuart is the cartoon Sebastian from the 80s series, still
looking for his mum and getting into amusing situations with circuses
and the like,

> and the Dog On Wheels is
> Snowy
>
>>OBVIOUSLY, it's Belle, the Pyreneean Mountain dog from the series.
Good grief, have you no soul?
	People have written to the list about a 70s live-action series
called Belle & Sebastian, which I, not being born until 1978, did not
glimpse.  Was the later cartoon series based on the live-action one, or
is it a particularly spooky coincidence?

HoneyPaul, great online photties of the band at Manchester.  Mmm, I
never knew looking up La Murdoch's nostrils would be so alluring...  Are
there going to be more pictures?  I particularly want to see the lauded
vixen Mick, and also Wee Chris's pantaloons.

Anyway, I believe I'm supposed to be going down to the darkroom to
develop some pictures of a wall or something, so I'd better go now.

Oh, can anyone recommend a starter album of Scott Walker?  Neil Hannon
does sound awfully like him, doesn't he?