Sinister: Tintin and record shops

LUCY C MUNRO lucy.munro at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 14 12:52:12 GMT 1998

Stuart M. can't be Tintin, because it's a well known fact that Jimmy
Somerville is the Belgian sleuth, and there's only room for one.

On exchanges in Record shops, a friend of mine usually says that he was
given them as presents but already had one & I think that's worked so far.
I managed to get the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street to exchange a 12
inch single that I'd bought but someone then gave me the next day as a
congratulations present - naturally I kept the one he gave me & took back
the other.

There's a lovely story about someone who collected coupons from an lp for
a free 7 which you had to send off for (maybe by the Clash?) by repeatedly
taking the record back and exchanging it, being very careful to get a
different assistant each time.  He got enough for a good number of the
singles & then gave them out at his college in the spirit of evangelism
that overtakes us all sometimes.

Lucy