Sinister: well's review

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 14 18:36:24 GMT 1998

Nrbqlover wrote:

> i'm a little overwhelmed at how everyone is taking steve wells' review
> of the
> band. so he slagged them off-so what? for those of you who want B&S to
> forever remain "indie", his review could help dissuade the "masses"
> from buying into our gang. for those(like me) who want this band to
> succeed beyond all
> expectations, it's further proof that the band's decision to ignore
> the press
> is the right way to go.
>
> i mean wells should eat shit and die but it's not gonna stop me from
> preaching
> to the uninitiated(latest convert:friday night dinner companion,
> ex-guitarist
> with early eighties la punk band the flyboys, who called me yesterday
> after
> buying IYFS and ALL THREE EP'S desperate for a "Tigermilk" tape.) We
> can do this ourselves-we don't need some p.r.-humping illiterate rock
> scribe to
> help!!
>
> clem lane
> nrbqlover at aol.com

No-one is going to let the article change their views about B & S. I
actually like it when a good writer criticises (in the true sense of the
word) a band I think the world of. A good writer doesn't have to resort
to the verbal equivalent of violence to make their point. Steven Wells,
through his overweight firework prose, *is* quite capable of making a
point. It's just that his points never seem worth making. His main
shortcoming though is his inability to describe music with any notable
degree of accuracy or beauty. I never feel like getting involved with
the music he enthuses about - reading a positive Steven Wells review is
like being badgered by a pasty-faced car salesman trying to get rid of
his cousin's Capri. His juxtapositions of artists seem ill thought-out
and are almost empirically inaccurate (the B&S vs. Don McLean/Kirsty
MacColl one being a perfect illustration of this).

Ultimately, the fact that he's written for a very shit music paper for a
very long time means you had all the warning you needed.

yerluvinuncleTurt