Sinister: Bootlegging from Vinyl

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Tue Jan 13 19:50:49 GMT 1998

Keith Watson wrote:

> >Further, just to comfort B&S and/or Jeepster, CD's mass
> produced from a
> Vinyl source would be inferior to those from the Master
> >Tape unless a great
> deal of money was spent trying to digitally remaster the
> sound.  Also,
> cateran on chat made it known that >Cdroms, played on a
> regual CD player
> which lack the ability to oversample them, sound
> noticeably infererior (if
> one is an audiophile).
>
> Hmmm... I'm afraid this point doesn't seem to make much
> sense. If a CD
> player reads a single circuit on a CD and the sum of all
> the bits on that
> circuit doesn't match the checksum stored at the end of
> that circuit then it
> will skip. All oversampling CD players do is attempt to
> read the circuit x
> number of times in an attempt to get it correct before
> actually playing it,
> they will also skip if unable to match the checksum.
> Either a CD will skip,
> or it'll sound exactly the same as it did when initially
> recorded, in the
> same way that if you take a binary computer program and
> splat a few zeroes
> into the middle of the file, it's not likely to make the
> program just
> slightly worse, just completely and untterly shaft it. I
> don't know where
> this sort of stuff comes from, but there was an article a
> few years ago that
> stated that should you keep your CD's in a fridge, they'd
> sound better!

I quite agree Keith.

> Frankly too, I'm quite surprised bootlegs of Tigermilk
> aren't already
> readily available. I had a look in Barrowlands in Glasgow
> a few months ago
> just out of interest, and there aren't even any tapes,
> never mind CD's.

Is the secondhand porno mag stall still there?

> Indeed. What got me thinking however, is the size of the
> wages bill that B+S
> must accrue. Mick's previous band I remember were paying
> themselves 150 quid
> a week or so living expenses, so if you extrapolate that
> to Belle and
> Sebastian they must be paying a weekly wages bill of 1120
> quid, this is
> quite considerable - so on that evidence it's probably
> about time Tigermilk
> received a legitamate release  or bankruptcy looms!

Yes, I'm just listening to Fat Larry's Band, there were
loads of them, and more than one of them was overweight. I
wonder what wages they paid themselves? I didn't know bands
had wages until quite recently. I thought they just piled
the money up on a table, argued about it and split up.It's
tempting to pretend to be above wondering what kind of money
Belle and Sebastian are making, but if the truth be told I
am a very nosey bastard. Next time anyone encounters a
drunkenn band member, please ask them. Otherwise we don't
know whether to hate their guts or not.
I am listening to fat Larry because it's on Stax Funk - Get
Up and Get Down, another compilation from the Ace group of
labels. I don't think it counts as Northern Soul but it's a
nice listen and contains some mindblowing photographs of
what appear to be lunatics.

Peter