Sinister: prospero nuevo!?!

Cairns ics6jdc at xxx.UK
Thu Jan 15 14:01:38 GMT 1998

I think that means "happy new year!" in Mexican or something, at
least that's what my baby brother put on all his Xmas cards.
S'nice to be back on the list again after the holidays, with a whole
new list of (increasingly anal) topics to wade through. A couple of
thoughts:

A big hello to all the sweet kids I met in Manchester, and to all
those I didn't 'cause I was working both afternoons. Saturday night
sure was pretty shambolic, though  still perversely enjoyable, but,
jeez, Sunday was something, Seems the whole "Was it crap/a
rip-off/illegal/a disgrace?" angle's been covered while I was away,
and that I may be an easy pleased, indie-schmindie, hopelessl
devotee, but I'd happily pay twenty-odd quid again and again for them
to start playing 'Modern Rock Song' as I ran in from the cold, and
for Stuart M to sing the line about Mark Twain just as we arrived,
breathless, at the top of the stairs.

Please don't anyone rise to the bait and write in to the weeklies
about the bad reviews. Tony Naylor's Saturday piece was pretty
spot-on in parts, and Steven Wells... Don't hate him 'cause of his
abonimable taste. Don't hate him 'cause he thinks he's the Bill Hicks
of music journalism.  Just despise him for inflicting the terrible
mugshot damage above his column every week, in all its mono-brow
glory. Tweezers, man, tweezers.

Oh, and can anybody help me out? Suggestions for things to ask Steven
Pastel tonite, when I've to interview him for the paper, would be
much appreciated, so's I don't just blurt out crap like "Gee whizz,
you know Steve malkmus, wow".

Yours gratefully,
Joseph