Sinister: Northern Soul

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Jan 15 10:49:14 GMT 1998

M.CLARK2 at lse.ac.uk wrote:

>           Popular opinion has northern soul as the
> description for the
>           thousands of Tamla imitators of the mid to late
> 60s.
>           The scene, as such, started in London's Soho
> clubs in the
>           mid 60s, playing mainly Motown. However, as is
> the way with
>           things in London, the scene was a fad and soon
> dissipated,
>           largely due to the growing dominance of heavy
> rock which
>           killed off a lot of the mod scene, and which
> placed a rather
>           over zealous importance on serious music.

Lest we forget...Black Sabbath were born from this self same
conflict. Ozzy Osbourne was a keen soul fan (you can just
about hear it in his voice) and Geezer Butler was a keen
blues enthusiast. They used to got to all-nighters, Ozzy to
soul ones, Geezer to blues ones, and then glare at each
other on the way home in the translucent Birmingham dawn
light. The rest is history...

Thank you for this enlightening piece on Northern Soul. It
has certainly cleared up some doubts.

Doctor Ringpiece