Sinister: Perfume

Gordon A Rogers gar at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 21 16:28:56 GMT 1998

No not the band.

All this talk of books involving food and sex reminds me of a book by
Patrick Suskind called 'Perfume'.

Although nothing to do with food or indeed sex, I think it would appeal to
most listees. Basically it's about a Frenchman who has an amazing sense of
smell and strives to capture the best smell in the world (the one we emit
just after dying - apparently). The desire to find this smell leads us
into the characters mind as he murders innocent people just to obtain this
beautiful smell.

The opening scene is the birth of the book's villian (a character you are
both repulsed by and can empathise with). His mother basically has the
child as she works in the fish market (using her gutting knife to cut the
ambilical cord).

I think it was this opening scene which reminded me of one of the books
previously mentioned.

 I haven't really done the plot any justice at all here, but the language
used in the book is wonderful and the description of the central
characters olfactory ability is gorgeous. Go Buy It Now.

Anyway are sex and food equivalent to smell and murder ?
- I know which I prefer

- Gordon (Who said scientists couldn't read)

Gordon Rogers
Room 7
Flat DF
St Peter Street