Sinister: Indie is a four letter word

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Thu Jan 22 14:53:57 GMT 1998

> Ah the good old indie clubs of Edinburgh. Does FBI still exist? I spent
>many a wondrous teenage weekend dancing along to the delights of Wheres me
>jumper etc. Another query, How about the status of Evol, now there was a

>good Indie club, I don't think I've ever found anything quite like it.
>Actually I'll compliment one of our listees by saying that the egg is
>porbably the best I've been to since.
>  I think I'm actually getting nostagic about being sixteen, no that was
>when I used to go to Katch, the less said about that the better.
> Oh I'll put a bit of B&S content in here. Isn't La pastie... a great tune?
> Ciao,
> Claire.

You serious? Evol... shite more like. The only times I've ever wound up at
Evol's when absolutely nothing else is on. In all seriousness mind, I don't
know when you were last there but Mr.Mellotte's  turned it into a money
making proposition, so it's no longer the club it used to be anyway really,
it's when the top of the original playlist :

    Sonic Youth, Mudhoney

became...

    Blur, Oasis

That kind of gave it away.

I used to quite enjoy FBI, although I haven't been since summer 1993 and
everyone tells me it's complete arse now. I've been to Madchester a couple
of times, and frankly it seems a bit weird. It started off Madchester like,
which was a nice kind of nostalgia trip, but wound up not really being
Madchester at all, just another indie club really, which is a shame, cause
you go wanting to hear records that you haven't heard for years and you
thought you hated anyway, and when the dust settles years on, you find
yourself going "Sing LSD" out loud and sutff.

Cheers,
    Keith.